[AMBER] Can I get interaction energy between two motifs in diffrent domains in the same protein through MD simulations?

From: Zhihong Yu <nkyuzhih.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 11:00:33 -0500

Dear AMBER users,

Now I'm studying a protein by MD simulations, this protein have three
domains of A, B and C, one loop in A (call auto-inhibition-loop, AIL)
interacted with a few residues in C and formed a so-called “auto-inhibition”
state. I introduce a mutation at one interacting site in C and have finished
20ns MD simulations for both wild-type and mutant. Now I want to get the
interaction energy of AIL with those residues in domain C from both MD
trajectories, here is some questions:

1). Can I achieve the objective based on already finished classical MD
simulations through some post-process, such as MM_PBSA/GBSA?

2). If I can get this type of interaction energy through MM_PBSA/GBSA, then
how will I set input values in mm_pbsa.in, especially for COMPT/RECPT/LIGPT
in .GENERAL section, and corresponding residue numbers in .DECOMP section?
Supposing the organization of this protein is like:

Domain A: 1 ~ 100

AIL: 60 ~ 70

Domain B: 101 ~ 200

Domain C: 201 ~ 600

3). To get the total interaction energy of AIL with nearby residues in
domain C, which type of energy decomposition is better for summing up,
per-residue or pairwise per-residue? Which value is the best for DCTYPE?

4). If I can’t get this interaction energy based on finished MD simulations,
can I get it by running other MD simulations in Amber9? Then which key
parameters should I modify?

5). Even if the answer of 4) is “No”, could you give me some suggestions on
how to compare the “binding affinity” of AIL to domain C in wild-type and
mutant through computational technique?

Thanks in advance, and I really, greatly appreciate any advice!

Zhihong