RE: [AMBER] AMBER SUPPORT FOR ATI GPUs ?

From: Scott Le Grand <SLeGrand.nvidia.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 11:40:21 -0700

Support for AMD GPUs would be an exercise in frustration at this point. While it would be platform-independent, the state of OpenCL does not easily lend itself to multi-GPU applications nor does it expose much of the functionality I exploited in the AMBER port.

John Stone ported some CUDA code to OpenCL last year. It involved a fair amount of special-case code and achieved approximately 1/2 the performance of NVidia's last generation GPU, the GTX285, on their latest greatest, the 5870.

That said, in a year or two, it may be a whole new ballgame...

Scott