Re: [AMBER] PMEMD installation with gfortran

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 23:14:05 -0400

Hello,

This is strange, since mpif90 makes a soft link to mpif.h in the local
directory. This suggests that neither the local directory nor
/usr/mpi/gcc/mvapich-1.1.0/include are in the searched include path (I'm
guessing LD_INCLUDE_PATH, since the libraries are searched in
LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

I see two options to fix this (though you may want to talk to your system
admin as to why the linker can't find the mpif.h header file in the local
directory). #1: use the following command before you begin to compile

export LD_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/mpi/gcc/mvapich-1.1.0/include\:$LD_INCLUDE_PATH

Or, #2: change MPI_INCLUDE back to its default value in config.h. namely:

MPI_INCLUDE = -I$(MPI_HOME)/include

Something worth trying may also be to just add the present directory to
LD_INCLUDE_PATH (which may be a good permanent solution considering what
mpif90 is trying to do, though more experienced users may have advice
against this):

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.\:$LD_INCLUDE_PATH

I think that any of the above 3 solutions should be sufficient to resolve
that error (though of course I have no way of knowing if there will be other
errors after this one).

If this doesn't work, check the directory /usr/mpi/gcc/mvapich-1.1.0/include
. Is there a file called mpif.h in there? If not, that is definitely your
problem. Considering how easy this check is, that is probably worth doing
first. If it exists in that directory, then any of the above should fix
it. If it's not, try googling the issue to see what comes up (the MPI may
need to be reinstalled?) I just checked mvapich, mvapich2, mpich2, and
openmpi installations on machines I have access to, and every single one has
mpif.h in the $MPI_HOME/include directories (as I would expect them to), so
it should be there.

Good luck!
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,