Re: [AMBER] Davies Bouldin Index with DME in ptraj

From: Jianyin Shao <jyshao2004.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 17:10:05 -0600

Hi Geoffrey,

The calculation of DBI when DME is used is same as the calculation of DBI
when rmsd is used. The DBI is defined as the average, for all clusters X, of
fred, where fred(X) = max, across other clusters Y, of (Cx + Cy)/dXY. Here
Cx is the average distance from points in X to the centroid, similarly Cy,
and dXY is
the distance between cluster centroids:

DBI = average(fred(X))
fred(X) = max((C(X)+C(Y))/distance(X,Y))
C(X) = average(distance(x, x-centroid))
C(Y) = average(distance(y, y-centroid))
distance(X,Y) = distance(x-centroid, y-centroid)

Since you can reproduce the DBI value with rmsd metric, I guess the problem
does not lie in the DBI calculation. Here I found two possible causes that
DME might go wrong.
1. The centroid of a cluster using rmsd metric will implicitly aligned.
There is no alignment before calculating the centroid when DME metric is
used.
2. When calculating DME, we used formula:
DME = sqrt(sum((distance(X,i,j)-distance(Y,i,j))^2)/C(N,2)), in which
distance(X,i,j) is the distance between atom i and atom j in structure X.
C(N,2) is N*(N-1)/2. But I've also seen formulas like this:
DME = sqrt(sum(distance(X,i,j)-distance(Y,i,j))/C(N,2)) (sum up the
distance error, not the square of distance error) or
DME = sqrt(sum((distance(X,i,j)-distance(Y,i,j))^2)/N^2) (sum up all the
pairs, including (i,i), which should be 0, then divided by the number of
total pairs, N^2)

I don't know how you calculate the DME. Hope this explanation helps.

Best,

Jianyin Shao