Re: [AMBER] How to disable the VDW interaction?

From: Jeffrey <jeffry20072008.yahoo.cn>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 20:44:54 +0800 (CST)

Thanks for your clarification. I have two other relating questions:
1. If I make a new residue file with a different atom type, which parameters for bond, angle, and dihedral involving the new atom type should be used? Can these parameters be copied to the new atom type by tleap when construting the prmtop file?

2. In fact, I am not very clear about the statement "We don't need to worry about removing the bonds, angles and dihedral terms as these are all internal to the residue and so the average properties of these terms should be identical in the model  and protein systems. There is also no contribution from these terms to the derivative of the potential with respect to lambda." in the tutorial for pka calculation by TI method as in http://ambermd.org/tutorials/advanced/tutorial6/section1.htm

Suppose the following Hamiltonian is used,
H(lambda) = lambda * H1 + (1-lambda) * H2, which H1 and H2 correspond to the protonated and unprotonated states, respectively.

If the bond, angle and dihedral/torsion interactions involving the disappeared hydrogen atom is not removed from the unprotonated state (prmtop), the derivative of the H(lambda) with respect to lambda (H1-H2) will also include the contribution from these terms. Why the tutorial says that "There is also no contribution from these terms to the derivative of the potential with respect to lambda."  Do I understand it correctly?

Any suggestion is appreciated.
Many thanks.

Mingjun
--- 10年5月8日,周六, Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com> 写道: