Re: [AMBER] how is pH treated in Amber - other than constant pH simulations

From: Dean Cuebas <deancuebas.missouristate.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:53:34 -0500

Dear Andrew,

I have found the best approach to protonating my proteins is to use the pKa
predictions of the H++ server in conjunction with the superior H-bonding
prediction of reduce at the Molprobity server.

1) Use Molprobity to flip Asn, Gln, His residues as needed, since MOST
proteins from XRC need fixing in this regard.
2) Save the flipped but NOT protonated pdb to use as input to the H++ server
for pKa predictions.
3) Continue with the Molprobity server to maximize H-bonding possibilities
and protonate the protein.

4) Using visual inspection of the molprobity output for h-bond and clashes,
and the pKa predictions of H++ you can come to some reasonably confident
expectations, especially with regards to the correct state of histidine,
picking the correct HID or HIE neutral annular tautomer, or the protonated
HIP.

Realize that constant pH cannot be used with explicit water MD, so if you
use a water box, you should do the above.

Hope this helps!

Dean