Re: [AMBER] how is pH treated in Amber - other than constant pH simulations

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 14:25:49 -0400

You can also run constant pH MD to obtain pKas, and based on your
results set your protonation state for explicit water MD, etc. pKas
are inherently ensemble-averaged properties, so no *single* structure
can give you a reliable pKa for a buried ionizable residue.

Note that constant protonation is NOT constant pH, as Carlos pointed
out. It can be a good approximation if one protonation state is
vastly dominant over the other, but there will always exist members of
the ensemble with a different protonation state. For that reason, it
may be useful to run constant pH MD to see if the constant-protonation
state choice you were going to make is valid.

All the best,
Jason