[AMBER] Is the variation of C-Cl bond length normal?

From: Shulin Zhuang <shulin.zhuang.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:26:12 -0700

Dear All,

I have done simulation of a protein-ligand compelx in NPT ensemble at 300
degree. In this ligand, there is a CCl3 group. Antechember module from
Ambertools 1.3 was used to generate the parameter for the ligand following
the tutorial of Dr. Ross Walker:
http://ambermd.org/tutorials/basic/tutorial4b/ using AM1-BCC charge.

After restrained minimization(1000 steps), free minimization(1500 steps),
restraind heating process in NVT ensemble(20ps), I directly equilibrated the
whole system in NPT ensemble for 2ns.

I used VMD 1.87 to check the ligand and found that before the NPT
equilibration, the ligand is well, however, during the equilibration, the
bond length of C-CCl varies, sometimes around 1.75 angstrom, sometimes above
1.8 angstrom. If this bond length above 1.8 angstrom, for example 1.84
angstrom, the VMD would not treat it as a bond.

Is the variation of C-Cl bond length normal? Any suggestions would be much
appreciated!

Best regards
Shulin