Re: [AMBER] Fitting Torsional parameters

From: Ilyas Yildirim <yildirim.pas.rochester.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 20:36:07 -0500 (EST)

> I have a few other questions. I understand that the PK values correspond to
> the coefficients that were obtained during the fitting of the Fourier
> series. The coefficients are divided by 2 and the resulting value is the PK
> value. The form of the series that I used did not contain a PHASE parameter
> (it was set to 0).I am assuming that this infers that the PHASE value must
> be set to 0 for the torsion parameter but wanted to clarify the matter.
>
> Form used : *PK**1/2 (1+COS(*PN**phi - 0))

I would suggest you to use a zero PHASE. At the end, if your PK is
negative, you can make the PHASE 180 and PK positive. Even if it stays in
its original negative value, it will be ok. But be careful on the PK
value! The equation that you wrote is not the right equation. You can look
at the 'Parameter Development' section in AMBER8 manual to see how the
torsional parameters are developed. The equation that is used is

Etors = ( PK / IDIVF ) * ( 1 + cos( PN * phi - PHASE) )

[Copy/pasted from the manual]

In a specific case representation, IDIVF=1. And what you fit will give
you PK/1 = PK. After the parameterization, do an MM PES calculation to see
if the torsional profile is reasonable. Do not confuse yourself with the
barrier hight, which is 2*PK! In a complex torsional energy surface, I do
not think that the barrier can be measured directly, because it will all
depend on how many cosine terms you will use. Fit to the above equation
and calculate PK with IDIVF=1. That value is what needs to be put to the
frcmod file as new torsional parameter. Also, set PHASE=0, which will make
things easier. I am not sure which fitting protocol you are planning on
using; I would suggest you to use the linear-least-square-fitting
protocol.

Good luck,