Re: [AMBER] Question of Tutorials-A1 about charges compuation from Guassian for Amber

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:29:03 -0500

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010, Tom Williams wrote:

> I am running Sander for protein/water/ions simulation. The protein
> should carry charge although the whole system is neutralized by adding
> the counter ions.
>
> So according to you, in amber, except the manually adjusting protonation
> state, the only way is to run the constant pH molecular first to
> obtain the correct state of each residue and then switch to normal MD
> simulation in Sander.

First, note that there is no "correct [protonation] state". The energetics of
any residue may change with conformation (and hence with time in an MD
simulation), and side chains with a pKa near the solution pH will exist in
more than one state.

Since most calculations assume a single protonation state, there are a number
of tools that can help to assign a "good" choice. H++ and PDB2PQR are two
such tools, that you can get to from the Amber web page, http://ambermd.org.
You use these before running LEaP, the proceed as usual.

You are welcome to try constant pH simulations, but please be aware that this
is a difficult, advanced and experimental tool.

...hope this helps...dac