RE: [AMBER] How to avoid Zn parametrization?

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 09:47:02 -0800

Hi Andrew,

If you think the zinc is purely structural and not involved in the actual
binding site then you can just model it as a 2+ ion. Put TER cards around it
in the pdb. Call it something like residue name ZNS (for structural Zinc)
and give it atom name ZN.

Then fire up leap and do:

edit ZNS

This will create a new unit called ZNS.

Draw in a single new atom and then highlight and edit it.

Set the charge to +2, the name and type to ZN.

Then

savemol2 ZNS ZNS.mol2

Quit Leap.

Create an frcmod file with the contents:

Zinc 2+ Params
MASS
Zn 65.38

BOND

ANGL

DIHE

NONB
  Zn 1.85 0.06

Finally you can fire up leap:

source leaprc.ff99SB
ZNS = loadmol2 ZNS.mol2
loadamberparams frcmod
foo = loadpdb foo.pdb

And your zinc should be recognized.

The only other thing you might have to do is make sure the protonation state
(HIS/HID/HIP, CYS/CYX etc) is correct for the residues surrounding the zinc
so you don't get H's added very close to the zinc.

Good luck,
Ross