[AMBER] RE: Questions about QMMM

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 23:47:49 +0100

Hi Hong,

It is best to post such questions to the AMBER mailing list in future so
that others can benefit from the replies as well. See
http://lists.ambermd.org/ for signup details.

In AMBER it is certainly possible to have MM atoms, such as waters, situated
between QM regions. However, the only downside at the moment is that there
is no partitioning of the two QM regions. Thus they will be treated as a
single QM region with a single fock matrix, single SCF etc. This is fine in
principle with respect to the results but means you don't get any speed
advantage from having two separated QM regions. That said in your case I
think what you would get is actually what you want since you want these two
QM regions to approach each other yes?

You should be able to just setup your simulation and as the two regions
approach so the two QM regions should essentially coalesce without any user
intervention. Thus set this up just like you would a normal (single region)
QM/MM simulation and you should be good.

Good luck,

Ross