Re: Re: [AMBER] MD simulation with a partially flexible system

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:35:40 -0500

the reduction in cost only ahppens if you can skip the calculation of
forces for those atoms and the associated distances. for PBC, that can
be done, but constant P isn't correct and the reciprocal space
calculation isn't faster, only the direct. for GB, you still need to
calculate effective radii of fixed atoms, since they can change if
atoms near them move and these radii are needed for the forces on the
moving atoms. on the whole it is difficult to speed this up
efficiently, though I do recall reading a paper about it. In Amber
there can be speedup with belly but there are restrictions on which
atoms can be frozen. I'd suggest giving it a try and seeing how it
goes- but I would not expect huge speedups in most cases. another
approach might be to consider not including most of the other atoms,
only a buffer region of restrained or fixed atoms at the end of your
moving atoms zone.