RE: AMBER: from dihe parameters to torsional energy

From: Ilyas Yildirim <yildirim.pas.rochester.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 12:10:13 -0500 (EST)

> 1>. e = pk(ic) * (1.0+phase*cos(pn(ic)*phi)
> where phase = 1.0 or -1.0, and pn = 1,2,3,4, or 6
> 2>. e = pk*( 1.0+cos(pn*phi-phase) ----- the old energy form,
> if phase angle is other than 0 or pi then assume this angle.

Ross,

I do not think that the 1st equation is used to do the energy
calculations of dihedrals. I did not check the source code for
this, but people published new dihedral parameters, which have phase
angles other than 0 or 180 (amber barcelone force field).

Here is a link to the frcmod file for the barcelone force field:

http://mmb.pcb.ub.es/PARMBSC0/frcmod.parmbsc0

If the above equation is used to do the energy calculations, then
this means that amber force field does not allow to have phase angles
other than 0 or 180.

The first equation is used in nmode/ephi.f file. I will be very surprised
if the amber torsional energies are calculated this way in sander/pmemd.
nmode is used for normal-mode analysis (entropy calculations). It looks
like that if the phase is something other than 0 or 180, nmode will not
calculate the right torsional energy.

--
  Ilyas Yildirim, Ph.D.
  = Hutchison Hall B#10          - Department of Chemistry      =