Re: AMBER: AMBER 10 PMEMD / SGI_MIPS

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 08:45:34 -0500

Okay, this is curious, as the long identifier names have been there for a
very long time, and have not caused anything other than a warning. So are
we perhaps changing the compiler settings, or is this just a compiler I have
not seen? As of last release, I stopped checking out sgi mips because I had
between limited and no access to relevant machines (I still have one sgi
mips 02, pretty old now, unbelievably slow, with old compilers on it).
Anyway, I would expect there is a switch that can be added to this compiler
that will allow more than 31 chars - geez that is a really old standard.
Regarding identifier name lengths, well, I more often encounter folks
complaining because something is too cryptic. I tend to make the name
something that will at least have meaning to me, on the theory that that is
a practical middle ground between grumpy compilers and grumpy people ;-)
Regards - Bob