RE: AMBER: ff99 (PK/IDIVF)

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:06:22 -0800

Hi Saurabh

To follow up on Carlos's excellent explanation I would just like to add that
this of course only applies to the use of wildcards (X-) in dihedral terms.
This is something that has always concerned me in AMBER because it makes it
very difficult to understand what is going on. Additionally the assumption
(made by the idivf value) is in my opinion dangerous since one could almost
certainly find molecules (not necessarily in the amino acid set but
elsewhere) that had different connectivity for that wild card dihedral.

My advice if you are generating your own parameters is to ALWAYS explicitly
define all dihedrals and in all cases set idivf=1 and set the barrier height
appropriately for that specific dihedral. This will avoid much confusion and
chances for mistakes.

All the best

Ross