Re: AMBER: RESP GAUSSIAN AMBER

From: Francesco Pietra <chiendarret.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:13:13 +0100

Hi:
Surely we can learn much from these confabulations. However, any time
I am somewhat surprised about such concentration of thoughts about
Gaussian. Is anything in NWChem inferior to Gaussian as far as basic
ab initio or DFT are concerned? If so, I could understand, however I
would like to see were computations with NWChem are at fault. NWChem
is provided on academic free license for nearly any machine, without
any restriction about the number of nodes/processors or whatsoever
else, and with code that you are allowed to compile at your will. Is
the same true for Gaussian? Probably Gaussian offers ready-to-use
plots, with (I suspect largely illusory) things as simulated IR
spectra. However, I could use with NWChem the functional M05-2X at a
time that Gaussian was at B3LYP (which failed to perform correctly on
my molecules). But I know that Francois is sensible to all that and
promised to extend to NWChem his important contributions. Hope 2009
will be the right year.

Cheers
francesco pietra