Re: AMBER: Variable PBCAL values in MM-PBSA calculations

From: Daniel Oehme <oehmes4.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:34:42 +1100

Thanks for your feedback Ray.

I was already using radiopt=0 so I tried radiopt=1 but pbsa couldnt
define radii for the extra points. This could easily be fixed by
defining radii for EP and recompiling but I thought I should look at
the radii in the prmtop files that I was using for both the simulation
and the MM-PBSA calculations first. It turns out that the radii for
TIP5P in both parmtop files are incorrect with one hydrogen set to
0.8, one to 1.2 and the two EP have radii of 1.5 which is the same as
the oxygen.

Searching through the code I found that radii are defined in unitio.c
and it is here where a problems lie. The issue with the EP are that
they are not recognised so they are given the default value of 1.5.
This therefore effects both the simulation and MM-PBSA prmtop files. I
dont think this will effect the simulation as the radii are not used
in sander for PMEMD simulations if I understand things correctly.

However the hydrogen radii issues are different and I cant quite
figure out why we get different radii. The default hydrogen radii is
1.2 but if bonded to an Oxygen it should be 0.8. Therefore it seems
that only one hydrogen is being recognised as being bonded to oxygen
with maybe the other one being recognised as being bound to a hydrogen
as multiply bonded hydrogen used the first bond to define which radii
to use. The only problem with this theory is that for the TIP3P
simulation parmtop, the hydrogens are recognized correctly and given
the correct radii. However for the TIP3P MM-PBSA parmtop, where only
the structural water is included, the hydrogens are not recognized
properly and are defined radii as seen for the TIP5P parmtop. It is at
this point I am confused as to why the TIP3P radii are not recognized
properly for the structural water parmtop.

Given that I thought I had identified why I was getting highly
variable PBCAL values, I hand edited the parmtop files to define
appropriate radii (EP=0.0, hydrogens=0.8) and ran the MM-PBSA
calculations again. However, I still got the same increased variance
but this time, the GB energy could not be calculated (value of
-infinity was given in *all.out files).
                   Complex SD Receptor SD
Ligand SD Delta SD
PBCAL -2634.95 341.17 -2032.19 66.55
-45.77 1.23 -556.98 347.61
GB 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
    -39.91 1.26 39.91 1.26

I then tried Ray's suggestion of using the default hydrogen radius of
1.3A (even though in unitio.c the default is 1.2).
                   Complex SD Receptor SD
Ligand SD Delta SD
PBCAL -2206.90 193.60 -2126.48 97.35
-45.77 1.23 -34.64 216.70

So defining the radii "correctly" didnt help but in the end has posed
more question. Why are the radii defined incorrectly in some parmtop's
and is there any way of reducing the variability in the PBCAl values
in the MM-PBSA calculations?

Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel Oehme
PhD Student
La Trobe University