AMBER: Question on AMBER MD Implications

From: Campbell, Patrick <pcampbell.msm.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:27:41 -0400

Hello All,

I have a quick question concerning the implications of MD with AMBER.

I am aware of Anfinsen's dogma that the aa sequence can determine the folding pattern of a protein and also of Levinthal's paradox which states that for a polypeptide of length n amino acids, the possible number of folding possibilities is 4^n.

My question then is this - Is it reasonable to state that for a given protein subjected to MD, the number of low energy states that are derived during the simulation can give a relatively small set of possible aa folded states in contradiction to Levinthal's paradox?

I do look forward to your responses and have a great day!

Pat Campbell