Fwd: Re: AMBER: Jmol 11.7.1 pre-release version reads AMBER trajectory/coordinate files

From: FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:57:07 +0200

----- Forwarded message from fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org -----
     Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:56:25 +0200
     From: FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org>
  Subject: Re: AMBER: Jmol 11.7.1 pre-release version reads AMBER
trajectory/coordinate files
       To: Robert Hanson <hansonr.stolaf.edu>

Quoting Robert Hanson <hansonr.stolaf.edu>:

> I see. Basically an atom would have a name and an "alternative" name. That
> would be easy enough to implement. Charges are already displayable in this
> way within Jmol -- and can be the basis for coloring atoms or isosurfaces
> (molecular surfaces, solvent-accessible surfaces, etc.). In the Jmol
> documentation, search for "charge".

ok, we will update our Jmol version.

> You mean just read the FLAG AMBER_ATOM_TYPE field? That's easy enough. I
> could do that very quickly.

This is indeed what you need for the topology file format (prmtop).
%FLAG AMBER_ATOM_TYPE
%FORMAT(20a4)

However, this will be obviously different for the "Tripos mol2", the
XLEaP "OFF" and the "prep" file formats...

> We could certainly make that field selectable as well. For example,
> select carbon and not atomType=C3

This is indeed quite simple for the CT atom type but more complex for
other atom types.

> Sounds like I need to get that list of AMBER atom types. Does that list
> allow clear differentiation between CA (alpha carbon) and CA (calcium), for
> example? HE (hydrogen) and HE (helium)? etc.?

See Cornell et al. J.Am.Chem.Soc. 1995, 117, 5179-5197.
See table 1: page 5182

> I have a general question about these files:
>
> Is a reader of a topology file supposed to totally ignore the %FLAG lines
> and just know that certain fields are in certain places in a certain order?
> That is, are these just comments for the occasional human reader of the
> file, or are they directives that are part of the file specification? (Can I
> depend upon them being there? Can I depend upon their formats being the
> same?)

See: http://ambermd.org/formats.html

If you do a google search using FLAG AMBER_ATOM_TYPE from
http://archive.ambermd.org/, you will get a lot information...

regards, Francois

----- End forwarded message -----

           F.-Y. Dupradeau