AMBER: Re: Dell 2 Quad Core System Performance

From: Ilyas Yildirim <yildirim.pas.rochester.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:04:14 -0400 (EDT)

Dear All,

I did a benchmarking to see the performance of a dual quad core system.
The system I tested have 3359 atoms in it (an RNA solvated with Na+ ions,
and ~1000 water molecules). I used sander.MPI in the simulations. The
machine is a dual quad core system with Intel Xeon CPUs (E5430,
2.66GHz) and 16 GB RAM. I did 4-5 test simulations for each case and here
are the results:

1 CPU X 1
2 CPU X 1.88
4 CPU X 3.49
8 CPU X 5.78

I have to say, I am very disappointed with the results. I had the same
question a year ago, and Ross Walker gave a really nice answer. I am
surprised that we cannot, still, get a full performance due to the bad cpu
architecture.

Is it possible that if I use pmemd, I can increase the efficiency? In any
case, just wanted to share my experience with you.

Best regards,

--
  Ilyas Yildirim
  = Department of Physics        -                              =