Re: AMBER: Compile AMBER 9 on TACC Ranger super computer

From: David LeBard <david.lebard.asu.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:43:52 -0700

Dear Ross,

Thank you so very much for the detailed instructions!

I have also been bugging the TACC consulting folks about my problems
installing amber9 (and actually had a ticket in their system since
June 9th!!!) with absolutely no luck or help at all. Their attempt at
installing amber9 in the form of a loadable module (ie. module load
amber9) has never worked for me. Even after showing them output from
all of my failed attempts, they still could not install amber9
correctly. I tried to compile it myself, but had little time to fish
through the errors because of other priorities (likely due to the -tp
7/-m32 problems). The latest "advise" from their consulting group was
to add the following in my batch script:

== module loading advise from TACC ==
module purge
module load TACC
module unload pgi mvapich2
module load intel
module load mvapich/1.0
module load amber9
==================================

This does not work (at least for my user) with sander.MPI or pmemd.

However, I followed your extremely simple instructions, and now both
sander.MPI and pmemd work as expected. The only problem with your
installation instructions, which are admittedly trivial, was the
misspelled AMBRHOME variable and the use of setenv for a bash script
("setenv AMBRHOME ~/amber9" should be changed to "export
AMBERHOME=~/amber9", and "setenv DO_PARALLEL ibrun" should be changed
to "export DO_PARALLEL=ibrun").

Anyway, I think these instructions should be passed along to the TACC
folks so they can correct this module and make a working Ranger-wide
installation.

Many, many, many thanks-
David LeBard