Re: AMBER: amber 10: sander and pmemd performance

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:06:41 -0400

Hi Vlad -
Well, I don't think I did a really good job of directly addressing the
ifort - gfortran difference, but really what happens is that the compiler
matters a lot more in some circumstances than others, and if something else
like gigabit ethernet, problem size - cache mismatch, some other h/w or s/w
config problem or other comes into play, then the speedup due to the
compiler can sort of disappear on you. And parallelization overhead really
can start eating up performance gains on single processors pretty quickly
sometimes. A good example is fftw. I went to a fair bit of trouble to add
support for fftw to pmemd, anticipating that it would help. I also happened
to optimize our own public fft's at the same time, and it turned out that on
intel p4 - and up cpu's, the fftw advantage on a single cpu was only around
10% (partly due to my public fft optimization effort). This is sort of
worth it. But by the time you are out to say 4 to 8 processors, the
advantage is barely noticeable because the distributed transpose cost of the
fft is coming up as well as other parallelization costs, and running a bit
faster on the individual processors is suddenly at best benefiting you a
percent or two. So anyway, back to your problem. I could believe that
gfortran is getting better - I don't follow this stuff very closely because
I believe that the commercial guys will always be fastest by at least a bit
(if they are not, they are dead). Now, add in potential problems with
misconfiguration of the system overall, potential problems with nonoptimal
configuration of ifort 10 (which I am not yet using - I should be, but have
been wrapped up with other stuff), potential problems hitting some amd
opteron with ifort (I vaguely recollect that ifort did not give the best
performance on amd chips - this is not particularly surprising, and I would
not be at all surprised if the open source guys are working a bit harder to
hit the opteron) - anyway, bottom line is there are lots of reasons you
could see this happen, and the best comparison would be uniprocessor,
different benchmarks, careful look at optimization options in both the
compilers and in pmemd. That's what needs to be done as a start, and then
you move on to what happens with parallelization. On mpich2 vs. openmpi, I
have not tried to use openmpi, but presume it is easier for the masses to
configure than mpich2. With mpich2, they have this demons model, and I
found that it required considerable dinking around to get it to work
properly if there were any complexities in your system (I had multiple net
cards, with a server net card in each node dedicated to mpi i/o, and
configuring this was easy to screw up, with really bad performance, or
screwball connectivity problems the result). So possibly mpich2 on your
machines has some problems of this sort. Possibly also, openmpi has some
slight improvements over mpich2 for some combination of factors - one would
hope things get better, but often they don't. I still run mpich 1 because
it is simpler to configure, more reliable, just as fast on my machines. I
tend to not replace software with new software unless the new software is
demonstrably better in some way that I care about. Okay, enough
philosophizing from me on this sort of thing; hope it helps, or at least
everyone better understands where I am coming from on pmemd development.
Best Regards - Bob