Re: AMBER: High force constant for MD ???

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 07:02:13 -0400

yes that is very high and may cause problems.
maybe it is better to determine why you need such a strong force
constant- why does the sugar have such large desire to become distorted?
it sounds like you have a problem in the parameters, and if it takes
700 kcal/mol force constant to fix it then things are really wrong.
usually the underlying parameters are several kcal, not hundreds.
I think for us to help more we need to know more about your
parameters for the carbohydrate and also what you mean by "valid"
conformation. my concern in reading a paper about such work is that
if you need 700 kcal to fix the part you know is "wrong", then probably
the part you are trying to learn from the simulation is also wrong.
carlos