AMBER: Problem with box dimension in AmberTools ptraj

From: Steve Spronk <spronk.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 02:35:47 -0400

I was having trouble imaging with the latest version of ptraj found in the
AmberTools 1.0 package. I noticed that the archives have several other
instances in the past few months of problems with imaging, but it didn't
seem like there was any resolution to these problems.

In my investigations into the weirdness of the imaging, I came across what
might be the issue. It seems to me that if you read in an Amber coordinate
file with box information and write out a new one, the box dimensions are
altered upon output. As a test case of this, I have a 50-frame MD
trajectory written out by sander (the Amber 8 version-our most recent sander
installation). It's too large to attach, but the file
(traj_from_sander.mdcrd) and the prmtop file used to create it (prot.prmtop)
are available on line at http://www-personal.umich.edu/~spronk.

I ran ptraj with prot.prmtop and the following very simple script *twice*:

trajin traj_from_sander.mdcrd

trajout traj_from_ptraj8.mdcrd

#trajout traj_from_ptraj10.mdcrd

First I ran it "as is" with the version of ptraj that came with Amber 8,
which wrote out traj_from_ptraj8.mdcrd. Then I swapped the commenting on
the trajout lines (commenting out the ptraj8 line and uncommenting the
ptraj10 line) and re-ran using the version that we downloaded with
AmberTools 1.0 (associated with Amber 10), to create
traj_from_ptraj10.mdcrd.

All three of my trajectory files should be essentially identical, right?
But the diff results (below) show that while ptraj8 does reproduce the
sander trajectory exactly, the box vector line for each frame of the ptraj10
trajectory is different. ptraj 10 writes out a box size of 84.372 84.372
84.372 regardless of the actual box size of the particular frame. (I've
confirmed this with another trajectory that was run with pressure coupling,
in which the box size changed throughout the run. For this trajectory, too,
every box dimension was 84.372.) The 84.372 box dimensions happen to be the
exact dimension of the box as specified in the prmtop file.

I think that this is a bug: the box dimensions from the prmtop file should
not be used to overwrite the box information for the individual frames of
the input trajectory. The change in box vector would really screw up the
imaging. But this would happen only for cases in which the coordinate files
were created by ptraj, not sander, which may be why some people have had
problems and presumably most people haven't.

Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone else confirm this?

Here are the diff results:

$ diff traj_from_ptraj8.mdcrd traj_from_sander.mdcrd

1c1

< rdparm transformed trajectory

---

$ diff traj_from_ptraj10.mdcrd traj_from_sander.mdcrd
1c1
< trajectory generated by ptraj
---

12198c12198