Re: AMBER: ff99 and ff03 forcefield parameters

From: Peter Kiss <kisspeter1004.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 16:27:15 +0200

Dear Vlad,
Thank you for your response, I'm really very grateful for it.
A know that the ff99SB force field is a reparametrization of the original
ff99, and a read the paper. In this forcefield the babckbone dihedrals were
refitted again at LMP2/cc-pVTZ(-f)//HF/6-31G* theory of level. And the
charges were the same as in ff94 (HF/6-31g*//HF/6-31G*).And the side chain
torsional parameters came from the previous ff94 forcefield (where the enrgy
profiles cam from MP2/6-31G* level)?.
As far as i know, in ff03 the backbone parameters were derived at
MP2/cc-pVTZ//HF/6-31G**, and the charges at B3LYP/cc-pVTZ//HF/6-31G**.
These are clear for me.
In my case the missing torsional parameter are located in the side chain.
Therefore which level of theory should I use?
For a representative fragment I have to carry out HF/6-31G* optimization,
relax scan, and the energy from MP2/6-31G* calculation (as in ff94). After
that I have to calculate the resp charges for this small fragment at the
HF/6-31G*//HF/6-31G* theory (becuase the Etor=Eqm-Emm(non-bonded). And i
will obtain the appripriate parameters for the missing torsion. It is clear.
But after i obtained the parameters, should i calculate the
B3LYP/cc-pVTZ//HF/6-31G** charges for th whole molecule? But with other
charges the torsional parameters are also differnet. Or not?
Or I don't understand the parameter development?
Thank you for your response again, but your help will be very hepful.
Thanks,
Peter