Re: AMBER: ff99 and ff03 forcefield parameters

From: Vlad Cojocaru <Vlad.Cojocaru.eml-r.villa-bosch.de>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 17:52:03 +0200

Dear Peter,

I am not an expert in parameter development but I would develop the
parameters for my residue (I assume you're trying to parameterize a
non-standard amino acid) strictly following the procedure described for
each force field version.
First, I would use Cornell et all ff94 procedure to develop all
parameters for my residue (including charges). Then, I would refit
torsional parameters and recalculate charges following Duan et al for
compatibility with ff03 or follow the procedure described in the ff99SB
paper to get parameters compatible with ff99SB (for the latter charges
do not need recalculation).

I guess a discussion about the accuracy of different parameter
development procedures would be too long for an email. And anyhow, for
such a discussion others would be more qualified than me.

vlad