Re: AMBER: Fwd: QM region + cutoff larger that box

From: M. L. Dodson <mldodson.houston.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 09:32:17 -0500

Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Although I suspected the problem does not arise from the box size, I have rerun
> md for the eq conformer. I started from prepin used successfully for the ax
> conformer in chcl3 and for both conformers in h2o. Setting the chloroform box
> 20A and md nstlim = 20,000.
>
> I have reexamined the min.in and md.in, they seem to be correct.
>
> It bombed at step 19150 with same indication "QM part + cutoff larger than
> box". As on previous runs, the mdcrd file shows the solute correctly immersed
> in molecules, allegedly chloroform. Say "allegedly" because of what said
> previously (below).
>
> Thanks
>
> francesco pietra

Well, I've had a lot of practical experience recently with the
QMMM functionality, so let me give it a try.

You say you did the run similarly to tutorial A2, but what is your
QM region definition? If you just copied the ':1-2' mask value of
the tutorial (first two residues), then the QM region probably
includes one of the solvent molecules. To follow up that
speculation, if that is what you did, then the QM CHCl3 is
diffusing away from the solute, moving out of the box.

If your mask definition is equivalent to ':1' (i.e., just the
solute), then you must have cleaved your solute into two fragments
(not very likely). To get a QM region component to move out of
the QM box, the QM region must start with at least two components.

Please post your input file.

No help here on your VMD problem. My experience with VMD is that
it is very comprehensive and flexible, but you have to tell it
EXACTLY what you want to do if your problem is different from what
the VMD developers had in mind (and put that capability in the
menus). I.e., it is a programming language as much as a graphics
program.

Bud Dodson

--
M. L. Dodson
Email:	mldodson-at-houston-dot-rr-dot-com