Re: AMBER: testing protein stability

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 07:06:16 -0400

you're right that this is a very difficult problem. one can barely test
thermodynamic
stability for peptides of 10-20 residues. Your heating protocol will compare
unfolding rates,
which may be related to stability but may not. you may want to check to see
if the
experiment has measured that. even if you do the unfolding, you will need
many runs to
get reliable statistics since the distribution of unfolding times for a
single sequence
may well be wider than the difference between average time for two
sequences.
you might be better off doing free energy calculations where you mutate the
residue
in the protein and again in a peptide model for the unfolded state, and use
that to
estimate the effect on stability.