Re: AMBER:a question about RMSD

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:06:40 -0400

I am copying this to the Amber email reflector, since that is where you should
send these questions.

I do not think the difference comes frmo the programs, RMSD is pretty well
defined and you should get very similar values with different programs.
In this case you have some values saying that the structures differ a lot
(3A or more) and some saying they are nearly identical (under 1A).
You should be able to tell the difference between these two visually.
Probably you do not use the same atom selection, or the same reference
structure, or perhaps one does a best-fit and the other does not. Without
seeing your inputs I cannot really help any more than that.
It also seems unlikely that the RMSD for C atoms is much bigger than
for N or CA- they are on the same chain.