Re: AMBER: MM-PBSA questions/clarifications

From: vanessa wai <wai.vanessa.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:36:27 +0800

Hello Rima,

I'm not an expert but I could share some of my experience with you.

>> To generate the snapshots, does the mdcrd files have to be stripped off
water and counterions?
yes

>>whereas the prmtop files for the lig/receptor/complex being the unsolvated
prmtops??
yes, you need to generate prmtop for each of the system: lig, receptor and
complex, without any water/ions.

>>Also, in the extract_coord.in it mentions that the NTOTAL flag must list
the total number of atoms including water and ions, so that again confuses
me, as in what should the coordinate file be??
as explained in the amber manual, NTOTAL is the total number of atoms in
your MD trajectory (inclusive wat and ions). The first step of calculating
binding free energy using MMPBSA needs trajectory of each system: lig, com
and rec. The make_crd_hg will extract these for you from your existing MD
trajectory.

The idea behind MMPBSA is to run an explicit MD first before using continuum
representation of polar (PB) and non-polar (SA) contribution to give you
estimation of the binding free energy. Probably you can get more information
about this methodology from literatures.

Good luck!

Regards,
Vanessa