RE: AMBER: the problem of mdcrd

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:44:11 -0800

Dear Xiphias,

The ****'s are written to the mdcrd file when the value becomes too big for
the space allocated for it in the code. In this case -999.999 < x > 9999.999

Thus, unless your system is very big one of two things is likely causing the
problem.

1) You initial coordinates are a long way from the the origin. Create a pdb
file from the inpcrd file and see what you get for the typical coordinate
range. If your initial system is a close to exceeding the limit then try
using ptraj to recenter this coordinates and create a new inpcrd file.

2) Your system is blowing up. Check the output file, are your temperatures
abnormally high? Say >500K ? if so then your system has likely expanded very
rapidly and thus one or more atoms has moved a long way from the initial
structure. What do the first 47 frames of the trajectory look like? Do they
make sense? What happens if you setup your system to run 47*250 steps and
then run another 500 steps as a restart but with ntwx=1. Then you can watch
a very fine grain version of the trajectory and see if anything is going
astray.

All the best
Ross

/\
\/
|\oss Walker

| Department of Molecular Biology TPC15 |
| The Scripps Research Institute |
| http://www.rosswalker.co.uk | PGP Key available on request |