Re: AMBER: compiler

From: David LeBard <david.lebard.asu.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:45:27 -0700

Hi Zhang,

We have a cluster of 64-bit opterons, and our fortran compiler of choice
(for any application, not just amber) is one from Portland Group.
Although this compiler is a little pricey, with the right optimizations
(i.e. -pc 64 -Kieee -Mconcur -fastsse -tp k8-64), we find that the
opterons almost outperform our lightning fast Alpha servers. So for us,
the cost was well worth the enhancement in computational speed.

If cost is your main concern, I believe you can get a 64-bit fortran
compiler (version 9, not 8.1) for free from Intel directly from their
website. Just google "intel fortran compiler" and check out the "free
non-commerical download" on the right hand side of the page. Recently I
heard great things about Intel's 64-bit compiler so this may be the way
to go.

Best,
David LeBard

Dept of Chemistry and Biochemistry