RE: AMBER: SHAKE probelm

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:09:05 -0800

It could be all sorts of things causing your instability. Are you running in
gas phase? Most systems will be unstable in gas phase. Ideally you want to
run in water with periodic boundaries.

If this is a system you built yourself you are almost certainly going to
have to carry out very careful minimisation and equilibration on the system.
See the amber tutorials for some examples (E.g. DNA).

You will probably need to do minimisation on just your water, followed by
minimisation on the whole system. You will then need to run MD with
restraints on your system and "slowly" raise the temperature (at constant
volume) then relax the restraints on your system and allow it to equilibrate
at 300K (constant volume) - then switch to constant pressure.

Note, if you system is very unstable, as is often the case with hand built
structures, you may need to do many stages starting the MD initially with a
very small time step (say 0.1fs) to allow the system to re-arrange very
slowly.

I hope this helps.
All the best
Ross

/\
\/
|\oss Walker

| Department of Molecular Biology TPC15 |
| The Scripps Research Institute |
| Tel:- +1 858 784 8889 | EMail:- ross.rosswalker.co.uk |
| http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/ | PGP Key available on request |

  _____