AMBER: AMBER 8 installation - continued

From: Atro Tossavainen <atro.tossavainen+amber.helsinki.fi>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:57:45 +0300 (EEST)

Hello,

I seem to have received the following response from Amber admin on Friday:

(With reference to the "ar rvsys.a..." problem.)

> You need to use GNU make (aka gmake) to compile Amber 8 on Sun machines.
> See:
>
> http://amber.ch.ic.ac.uk/archive/200409/0039.html

Oh, but I *am* using gmake, and was wondering why it wasn't being used!

Turns out that the AMBER Makefiles contain literal references to "make"
instead of $(MAKE), so unless you're prepared to remove the OS vendor's
make from your system and rename GNU make to "make", which would be a
Very Bad Move, there's nothing you can do.

The correct solution is to change all the Makefiles to call $(MAKE)
instead of "make" literally, and to set MAKE initially if it is not
set.

Also, GNU make or not, the Atoms.h problem remains the same.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,