RE: AMBER: RESP vs. AM1-BCC charges for isoprene

From: <ajakalian.lav.Boehringer-Ingelheim.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:43:16 -0400

Hello Oliver,

AM1-BCC was NOT designed to reproduce RESP charges.

It does not make sense to design a charge model based on another charge
model. We designed the AM1-BCC model to reproduce the QM electrostatic
potential (ESP) at the HF/6-31G* level of theory. This is the same
fundamental idea behind RESP, however unlike RESP, AM1-BCC does not use HF
level of theory but rather the AM1 level to get a first approximation of the
QM ESP with the Coulson charges. These first-pass charges are then
corrected with bond-charge corrections (BCCs) in order to reproduce the QM
ESP.

That said, I would not worry about large differences between AM1-BCC and
RESP for carbon atoms. It is well known that RESP charges suffer from
numerical instabilities, especially for buried atoms (i.e. charges can vary
widely while the RMS of the fit varies little). Table VI in the AM1-BCC
method paper shows this perfectly. Look at the RESP charges on Csp3 atoms,
they vary between -0.08 and +0.07, while for the same atoms the AM1-BCC
charges vary between +0.09 to +0.1.

Hope this helps,

Araz

Araz Jakalian, Ph.D.
Research Scientist, Structural Research Group
Boehringer Ingelheim (Canada) Ltd.
Research and Development
2100 Rue Cunard
Laval, Quebec, H7S 2G5, Canada
Phone: (450) 682-4640 Fax: (450) 682-4189
E-mail: ajakalian.lav.boehringer-ingelheim.com