Re: AMBER: PMEMD Problems...

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 00:38:58 -0400

Jon -
Okay, so given that it was not the -c being -C, it is most likely something
else in the input. The fact that you get the "PMEMD Terminated Abnormally!"
message basically means that the code did a "stop" with this message
specified as opposed to a "stop" with nothing after it, ie., it called an
error exit (mexit), and this is most likely due to bad input when it happens
quickly. It is possible that you are attempting to do things that are not
supported by pmemd, so look at what the mdout output tells you. If there is
nothing there, something is odd; otherwise it is some sort of input error.
As far as using the redhat and ifc that you are using, I think they are
probably fine; I don't use 7.3 on my own systems but I believe it is what we
have installed at UNC on the myrinet cluster and blades, and it is widely
used. All the threading grief starts around redhat 8 I believe, and
certainly by redhat 9 (I have pretty much skipped 8, and have recently
tested 9 and rhel 3.1; intel and the release notes for the OS and ifc say
ominous things about threads for these systems, with suggestions for
whacking stack limits and setting thread stacksize environment variables; I
have a "unlimited" stacksize (which really is not unlimited) and as long as
I am fully updated have been fine). If you are not used to constructing
input for sander or pmemd, and you are running amber 7, you can run the
4096wat and dhfr tests under amber7/test to quickly test pmemd. Look at the
makefile there, and add a test.pmemd modelled on test.sander using these two
entries; rename pmemd to sander (alternatively, whack the run scripts in the
subdirs, but that gets to be work), and give it a go (a quick and dirty
test, 'make test.pmemd'). Under amber 8, there are more tests available,
and the test.pmemd target is already in the makefile. You definitely want
to regress pmemd and sander against a few common test cases; in the amber 7
timeframe, a few other tests that should work are under amber7/benchmarks -
dhfr (again), jac, and rt_polymerase. You should be running pmemd 3.1 if
you are not running pmemd 8.
Regards - Bob