Re: AMBER: MD at different pH !!

From: Bimo Ario Tejo <bimo7.gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 05:58:39 +0100 (MET)

Hi Tuan,

The effect of distant pHs on protein is obvious...you don't have to simulate
an alkaline enzyme which works well at pH 11 (e.g. lipase from B.
licheniformis) at pH 3; it would be denatured! As an enzymologist, I'm interested to
simulate an enzyme at some pHs nearby its optimum pH. If the optimum pH of
enzyme is 11, the simulations would be run at pHs 10, 11, and 12, but not at pH 2
or 3.

What you said is right. Histidine would have different protonation state at
different distant pHs, so you can choose to use either HIS, HIP, or HID. But
as I said, personally I'm not interested to simulate my enzyme at distant
pHs; it would be simply denatured. A small range of pH is more interesting, and
TITRA results are not compatible to be used in this case.

Cheers,
Bimo