Re: AMBER: LES methodology question

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.csb.sunysb.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:01:06 -0500

This is discussed in the 12 pages on LES in the AMBER7 manual.
as well as in the literature.

to summarize, you only get multiple conformations sampled
at 1 time for the region that you copy. If you want to simultaneously
sample multiple helix-loop-helix conformations, then
you need to copy that. if you want to sample only multiple
loop conformations, copy that. It depends on how coupled
your helices and loop are. longer regions give more independence
to the copies, but more regions gives improved copy-copy
averaging that smooths the energy surface. It's a compromise
and there is not always an obvious answer without doing some
tests.

long regions can also require more memory when using PME,
so it may be good to start with helix, loop and helix all in
their own regions.
carlos