Re: AMBER: segmentation fault in Leap

From: Ioana Cozmuta <ioana.nas.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:26:41 -0800 (PST)

Thank you for your reply! At the moment I found a work around. I am using
the coordinates given by leap to manually replace a solvent atom with the
ion, then run again leap, repeat this until I neutralize the structure.
Another option for me is instead adding 10 Cl- ions to remove 10 K+ ions
so that overall I have a neutral structure. This does not significantly
change the molarity of the solution.

I do have an additional question and maybe this is the right time to ask.
I know that the "solvate" command in Leap uses a pre-equilibrated
water box approximately 18A in dimension. Where and what exactly I should
change to have instead the WATBOX216 my own preequilibrated box with ionic
solution this time.

The two options I think I have at the moment are:

1. To try and change the parameters of the WATBOX216 in
$AMBERHOME//dat/leap/lib/solvents.lib

2. To use the "zToolSolvateAndShell" routine from tools.c in
$AMBERHOME/src/leap/src/leap and build a separate code on it.

The first solution seems easier to try but I would like to know if I
should change anything else except the WATBOX216 parameters in
solvents.lib?

If I decide to use the second option, I would like to know the exact steps
the solvate command is taking:
1. It considers the Lx, Ly and Lz dimensions of the solvent, adds to it
the buffer and then divides these numbers by the size of the solvent
box to find how many solute boxes are needed in each direction. How does
it deal with non integer numbers? What is the approximation considered?

2. Does it then calculate the center of the solute and overlaps the first
solvent box with it? Or does the solvation procedure start from a corner?

Any help with this would be more than appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Ioana