Re: AMBER:

From: Michael George Lerner <mlerner.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:18:57 -0500 (EST)

This is probably a hoax, rather than a real virus:

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/cgi-bin/mfs/www/hoaxbusters/archive?link=http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBMalCode.shtml&file=/www/hoaxbusters/HBMalCode.shtml&line=1616#mfs

It used to be entirely a hoax, but someone made a real virus with this
name. According to the hoaxbusters page, the easiest way to tell is to
look at the icon for the jdbgmgr program. If it's a teddy bear, you're
fine. If it's a couple of tools, you're in trouble. It's worth noting
that the email below is definately talking about the hoax (it mentions the
teddy bear) rather than the virus. It's also worth noting that the
hoaxbusters page gives a link to a microsoft article about how to replace
jdbgmgr.exe if you have deleted it. I'm not running windows, so I haven't
actually looked into this on my system; I'm just forwarding on some useful
information.

always worth checking http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org before deleting things..

-michael

--
This isn't a democracy;|                        _  |Michael Lerner
 it's a cheer-ocracy.  | ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) |   Michigan