Re: AMBER: Intel Fortran Compiler 8.0 / pmemd 3.1 warning

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:17:27 -0500

Andreas -
Thanks for the info, though I think there may still be a problem. My report
of interoperability trouble with ifc7.1 and later releases of redhat (9 and
Enterprise 3 certainly, though possibly earlier stuff too) was based on
secondhand info from other amber developers. I have other pressing issues,
and don't have access to every redhat release currently being used, so I
don't want to validate all the possible combinations. However, looking at
the ifc release notes:

1) ifc 7.x and ifc 8 work on the 2.4.x linux kernel, which is the common one
out there (at least since redhat 7.2, and possibly earlier).
2) ifc 8 requires either glibc 2.2.5, 2.2.93, or 2.3.2. This means it won't
work with my trusty redhat 7.2, which has glibc 2.2.4, but should work with
later releases. Unfortunately ifc 8 has a internal compiler error in it
right now that keeps it from compiling pmemd 3.1, so we need a patch from
intel to make it work.
3) ifc 7.1, latest ia32 release (7.1.037) claims in the release notes to
require glibc 2.2.4 or 2.2.5. Missing is 2.3.2 which is what the latest
redhat releases use. I have not confirmed that this is a problem, but would
not be at all surprised.
4) pmemd 3.1, built with static libraries on a redhat 7.2 system with glibc
2.2.4 and ifc 7.1 seems to work fine on redhat enterprise 3.0 with glibc
2.3.2.

My intention in posting the warning was to help folks avoid a systems
upgrade trap, and provide a possible workaround if they have already
upgraded. What a mess!

Regards - Bob