Re: AMBER: pmemd

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 12:51:16 -0400

James -
Looks like possibly some higher energy stuff, but I would also note that it
would be worthwhile trying to set iwrap=1. I quote from the amber 7 manual:
"For very long runs, setting iwrap=1 may be required to keep the coordinate
output from overflowing the trajectory file format". Using COM keeps the
center of mass at the center of the box. In long runs (or probably shorter
runs with higher velocities), you will still see the atoms spreading out in
space unless wrapping is done. I would suspect a problem with the
simulation unless it is very long, and actually, I am suspicious of the high
COM velocity being removed (I typically see 0 here, but I spend more time
writing code than doing simulations). I would be interested in a
comparable sander 7 run, but with IDENTICAL run conditions, starting with a
well minimized structure. The fact someone else is doing a run on another
system with sander 7 without problems means nothing (we actually have a heck
of a lot on nsec accumulated with pmemd running on big protein simulations
with no problems in our group). And by the way, sander 7 may be broken
under mpi for minimizations (problem recently reported to Prof. Case) - it
gives different results fairly quickly when run with mpi as opposed to a
uniprocessor version - so I currently don't trust sander 7 for mpi
minimizations (I still use 6, or pmemd which agree in all implementations).
Anyway, I would be interested in your starting files just out of
minimization, the files right before the system goes south, and the "gone
south" files. I also think it would be valuable for some of the real MD
pros to speak up on this one. I am more of a software guy.
Regards - Bob