Re: A request regarding AMBER postings with attached files (fwd)

From: Andrew Gordon Purkiss <a.purkiss_at_mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk>
Date: Tue 24 Jul 2001 12:14:29 +0100 (BST)

These postings with an appoximately 250K attachment are copies of the
SirCam virus. This is a quite nasty virus currently spreading across the
internet.

See

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm_at_mm.html

for a full write-up.

If using windows to read your e-mail I suggest checking your security set
up and updating virus scanning software.

Andy Purkiss

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Anita Ilze Zvaigzne wrote:

>Dear AMBER users:
>
>I have noticed that there have been a lot of messages posted recently
>that have attachments listed as applications. Most of these messages have
>very little explanation of what is contained in the attached file.
>
>While for the most part, these attachments contain only straightforward
>questions related to topics covered by the AMBER reflector, would it be
>possible for the AMBER postees to write a short description in their email
>message of what is contained in the attachment file? Would it also be
>possible for them to write a short statement about the actual question
>that they want to have answered on the reflector -- within the body of
>their email message?
>
>I am sorry to make a big issue out of this matter, but my institution has
>requested that I do not open any attached files that do not have
>sufficient documentation in the email message. Because I would hate to
>have to miss out on reading your messages, I am asking if it is possible
>to include more explanation regarding these attachments in the future.
>Thank you for your assistance in advance!
>
>Sincere thanks,
>Anita Zvaigzne

| Andy Purkiss, School of Crystallography, Birkbeck College, London |
| E-mail a.purkiss_at_mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk |
| Phone 020 7631 6869 (Work) or 020 8567 7257 (Home) |