Re: dynamic memory allocation

From: Chuck Schneider <schneider_at_overdo.mro.cpqcorp.net>
Date: Wed 14 Feb 2001 11:20:02 -0500

Hi, AMBER-ophiles,

Christian Pilger mentioned getting this error message

   ** failed to allocate pair array, bytes: 633154916

on a Compaq XP1000 workstation running Tru64 UNIX. I assume that the
AMBER on that system is built for serial running, and can therefore use
dynamic memory allocation. So, I suspect the error message means that
system "tunables" are set too low to allow a user to allocate that much
memory. Briefly, what you want to do is have the system administrator
use /usr/bin/X11/dxkerneltuner, or other means to adjust limits in the
"proc" and/or "vm" sections to allow the memory allocations that are
needed. Contact me if you need help with the details.

Regards,

--
Chuck Schneider
Compaq High Performance Computing Expertise Center