Re: Bang for the Buck

From: Jarrod Smith <jsmith_at_reef.structbio.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Fri 9 Feb 2001 20:55:10 -0600

From: "David Konerding" <dek_at_cgl.ucsf.edu>
> Right now your best bet for cheap performance is a 1GHz+ AMD with 266MHz
bus
> and DDR SDRAM. The AMD chips have better floating point throughput than
> the Intel systems at the same MHz.

Of course I totally neglected the AMD option in my comment about the BX
chipset... If there were dual-proccessor Athlon boards available, this
would be a real winner. It's less clear if you factor in the care and
feeding of extra machines vs. dropping a second CPU into an SMP Intel box.
Unless perhaps a single-processor AMD can perform close to a dual Intel
system on a typical sander job? Does someone have the answer to that?

Jarrod