Re: [AMBER] printcharges using Amber24 GFN2-xtB method

From: Timothy Giese via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2024 14:31:34 +0000

If you wanted the single point energy of the system, set imin=6, ntpr=1, nstlim=0 and look at EPtot (the total potential energy).

When imin=6, ntpr=1, nstlim=1, sander will likely show 2 energies per frame; the first being the potential energy of the coordinates stored in the trajectory file, and the second being the potential energy after 1 step of dynamics. The imin=6 option means: run molecular dynamics departing from each frame in the input trajectory file. I had suggested using imin=6 because the printcharges option is unavailable with imin=5 (run minimization departing from each frame in the input trajectory file). However, the printcharges output will not appear at dynamics step 0 (based on the printing logic in the molecular dynamics code), so I suggested setting nstlim=1 which will run 1 step of dynamics (and thus allow charge printing).

The energies in the mdout file are kcal/mol. Note that – unless you turned periodicity off – the value of XTBESCF contains the internal QM energy and the periodic electrostatics with the MM and QM-image charges. Many QM/MM interfaces evaluate truncated electrostatics rather than full Ewald electrostatics, so a comparison of the numerical values generated from other interfaces will need to take into consideration how the electrostatics are evaluated. As far as I am aware, Sander is the only program that includes an xTB interface with QM/MM Ewald electrostatics.

-Tim