[AMBER] Ref Flag for Minimization

From: William Livernois via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 16:46:24 -0700

Hi all,

I am working on minimization of DNA heterostructures with custom ligands
and I'm getting some strange results when I use the -refc flag (tested on
both sander and pmemd.mpi, Amber18). My understanding comes from the manual
which states:

refc input (optional) reference coords for position restraints; also used
> for targeted MD

This means that it should only be relevant for minimizations with
restraints, correct? Since we are doing a two step minimization, it makes
sense to use this flag for the first step:

Minimization of water molecules and counterions
&cntrl
    imin=1, ! Energy minimization
    maxcyc=5000, ncyc=250, ! Total of 5000 cycles; first 250 steepest
descent, then conjugate gradient
    ntb=1, ntp=0, ! Constant volume
    cut=10.0, ! Non-bonded cutoff
    ntr=1, ! Apply restraints
    restraintmask=':1-16', ! Restraints applied to residues 1 to 16
    restraint_wt=50.0, ! Weight of the restraints
    ioutfm=1, ntxo=2, ! Binary NetCDF output
&end

but not for the second step:

Minimization of the whole system
&cntrl
    imin=1, ! Energy minimization
    maxcyc=5000, ncyc=250, ! Total of 5000 cycles; first 250 steepest
descent, then conjugate gradient
    ntb=1, ntp=0, ! Constant volume
    cut=10.0, ! Non-bonded cutoff
    ioutfm=1, ntxo=2, ! Binary NetCDF output
&end

However, when I accidentally used the -ref flag for the second minimization
step (*using the restart file from the first minimization step*) I got a
very different output result. Note nothing else was changed between these
results, using the same input files/force field/system setup. Does
including the ref flag change anything else about the forces or maybe keep
restraints used in a previous run?

Thanks,

Will

--
William Livernois
Dept. Electrical and Computer Engineering