Re: [AMBER] Peptide linked to a protein: force field limitations?

From: Carlos Simmerling via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 16:51:53 -0400

see below

On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 3:33 PM Sasha Buzko <Sasha.Buzko.immunitybio.com>
wrote:

> Thanks, Carlos.
>
> I guess, at this point I’m primarily trying to figure what I can do (if
> anything) to improve behavior of the solvent-exposed non-peptide linker.
> From the experimental data that we do have, the peptide shouldn’t be
> binding to the carrier protein and be available for binding elsewhere. Is
> it possible that the GAFF force field used for the linker was parameterized
> for binding pockets and locally hydrophobic environments? In this case, it
> may not work well in bulk solvent.

Junmei Wang might be more qualified to answer this, but I don't think this
was done. If anything, a lot of the testing is done on hydration free
energies. It might be possible that the link itself is becoming more
compact, perhaps due to inaccurate internal energies.

> Or can there be another reason?

It also could be related to the chemistry of the linker and if it's well
modeled by GAFF.
 Alexey Onufriev did some tests on IDPs with ff19SB+OPC, DOI:
10.1021/acs.jctc.8b01123.
 others on this list may have better suggestions.

> Can you think of anything I could at least try?

possibly try a water model or force field that has been validated for IDPs?
generally I don't think training for IDPs should be needed, but our models
all have weaknesses so sometimes you need to choose something tested on
your sort of application.

the DESRES group has done quite a bit of work on water for this kind of
problem - take a look at doi:10.1021/jp508971m if you haven't already. OPC
may be similar but we don't have anything to recommend yet.

carlos