Re: [AMBER] Error: Incompatible CUDA and GNU versions 9.4.0]

From: David A Case via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 11:12:41 -0600

On Sun, Oct 01, 2023, Maryam Foroozmehr via AMBER wrote:

> I ran into the following issue
> Error: Incompatible CUDA and GNU versions 9.4.0
> since my CUDA version is 10.1 detected
> and I followed the instructions given in
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6622454/cuda-incompatible-with-my-gcc-version
> ,
> however, I still keep getting the same error message.
>
> In the ./run_cmake, I set
> -DCUDA=TRUE
> and also set
> DCUDA_TOOLKIT_ROOT_DIR=/usr/lib/nvidia-cuda-toolkit,
> basically, the path where my CUDA is installed.
> With gcc --version I get
> gcc (Ubuntu 7.5.0-6ubuntu2) 7.5.0
>
> I installed GCC version 7 and create symbolic link using
> sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-7 /usr/lib/nvidia-cuda-toolkit/bin/gcc

This won't do you any good with Amber: it is using the version of
gcc/gfortran that is in your PATH variable, not anything inside
/usr/lib/nvidia-cuda/toolkit (unless that is in your PATH).

So, you should type "which gcc" (or "which gfortran") at the command prompt,
and make sure that these compilers are compatible with CUDA 10.1 (basically,
that they are version 8 or lower, and I understand it.) You may just need
to update your PATH variable to point to the correct compilers.

....good luck...dac